Monday, December 6, 2010

So long, Farewell, auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye.

Today I slept until 10:00 a.m.  I cannot remember the last time I did that without being sick.  It was glorious!  So why the special treat?  Last Thursday was my last day of school and interning!  Last days are normally slow, low key and a time for goodbyes.  And that's exactly how mine went...for a little while.

Started off with my super nice supervisor having a farewell breakfast for me which was totally unexpected.  She mentioned the day before that she wanted to bring in breakfast but I thought she meant for the two of us.  Wrong.  I get to work and a few minutes later I hear the intercom buzz "Everyone is cordially invited to the conference room for a special breakfast to say farewell to Molly".  Wasn't expecting that.  I may be outgoing but I hate being the center of attention.  It was highly embarrassing but still extremely nice and I appreciate her doing it.  Anyway, I finished up everything I was working on, cleaned out my desk and was given another nice suprise, "Go ahead and go home early and enjoy the rest of the day." Awesome, thanks!   So I said goodbye and be-bopped on down to my car to leave.  Not so fast.  I forgot to mention that my battery died earlier that morning.  My mom had planned on coming to jump me off when she left work and since she's amazing she just went ahead and came over when I got to leave early.  No big deal, hook up the cables and let it juice up.  Wrong again.  The battery is completely dead.  Time to call my favorite people, AAA.  Going to be about 45 minutes.  Alright, we'll go grab lunch and come back.  Get back from lunch right as the AAA man got there.

Friendly AAA Man:  Yes ma'am you're definitely going to need a new battery.
Mom:  Ok, well I guess I'll need y'all to tow it for me.
Friendly AAA Man:  Well that's not necessary.  I've got a machine in my car that will get it juiced enough to get you to a car place.  Don't shut it off, you'll have about 20 minutes before it dies again so don't go too far.

No big deal, I'll go to the Wal-Mart up the street, pull into their auto care place and tell them what I need.  Except the Wal-Mart up the street didn't have an auto care place. Ok, no big deal, I've still got a a few minutes left and I can make it to the Autozone.  Make it to the Autozone and shut off the car.  I know I'm not supposed to shut it off but I've already called and they have the one I need and can install it.  It will be fine.  Oh except now that I'm there in person the girl isn't so sure they have the battery I need.  Well you better find it lady because I shut off the car and its not going to turn back on.  She finally locates the battery and says that Daniel will install it.  That's great, thanks Daniel.  Daniel was a friendly Puerto Rican man who likes to chat while he works.  Normally I have no qualms about shooting the breeze with strangers but at this point I'm just ready to get home and am not feeling chatty.  However, Daniel was persistent and won me over with his broken English and adorable dimples.  He was friendly and asked a lot of personal questions.  I was friendly and answered vaguely.  It was a pleasant exchange that ended with him offering to take me back to Puerto Rico with him.  No gracias Daniel, it'll just be the battery today.  So anyway, 3 hours after I get to leave work early I finally head home.

That night I also had my last seminar.  It was bittersweet.  I can't wait to graduate and be done with undergrad but I've been with these people for the past 2 years.  We survived so much together and became a family.  When I first transfered to this school I was certain my time there would be miserable.  I missed my friends and didn't want to be there.  Boy was I wrong.  The people I've met since starting there are amazing and I can't imagine not knowing them.  Thanks for everything social work family, I love you and am going to miss you terribly.

So now I have 4 weeks to organize my life and get ready to move.  Hope that is enough time!

No comments:

Post a Comment