Thursday, February 24, 2011

Procrastination Post

Writing this blog helps me in many ways.  Its a safe place to tell stories about the residents.  Its a way for me to process and vent without my friends having to listen to me all the time.  And today its a great way to help me procrastinate.  I decided to go straight into graduate school after undgrad because I knew there was a good chance I'd never go back later.  I'm still happy with this decision but I think my brain is in revolt.  Its screaming "Enough with the learning already!!"  I'm slightly overwhelmed with how much I have to get done in the next three weeks so I'm taking a short breather to write this before jumping back into it.  I figured I'd catch up on what's been happening lately.

This past Saturday I had my first on-call day shift.  Day shifts are on Saturday and Sunday and last from 7 am-5pm.  That doesn't sound so bad right?  Well it just so happened that last Saturday was one of the prettiest days I've seen in months and I spent the entire day inside answering calls.  Letting walk of shamers back into their rooms, taking care of leaking showers, and orchestrating a rescue mission to retrieve someone's iphone from underneath a vending machine.  It wasn't my favorite day but it ended well!  Saturday was my mom's birthday as well and she and my dad and sister came down to go to the basketball game that night.  The game was super exciting and Trevor Releford set Tony Mitchell up for this amazing dunk!  We won the game and secured the win for the SEC West. ROLL TIDE.

My brother was in town for the weekend so I drove back up to my parents place Saturday night so we could all eat together Sunday for mom's birthday.  Anytime all five of us are together it gets pretty entertaining.  We all agree that we would make great reality television but disagree on what kind of show it would be.  I would love for my family to compete in a season of The Great American Road Trip if they bring it back.  I think we'd be good at challenges but we wouldn't be the "Good Answer! Good Answer!" family feud type of family.  If one of us screwed up the rest would let them know it.  And I'm not sure we'd all make it alive to the final destination if we had to live together in an RV.  So maybe no Road Trip for us.  Anyway, speaking of family ours just got a little bigger!

My baby cousin Juliana was born Monday!  I only have one first cousin so the fact that he and his wife had a baby is super exciting.  We haven't had any babies in the family for a long time and I'm super excited to have one to love and play with...and then return at the end of the day.  I only got to see her for a minute up close and then had to come back down to school to finish all that work I mentioned earlier...ok so I better wrap this up and quit procrastinating.  Here's the only picture I have of her right now.  Its a little blurry and taken through the nursery window but cute nonetheless!



Oh! One last thing before I get back to work.  I've mentioned that the bathrooms here are community style.  Today I grabbed my shower caddy, went in search of a clean shower, and picked the one with the least hair in it. After showering I reached for my towel and realized I didn't bring it. No Bueno.  Luckily I had a robe with me but its not meant for drying off.  I had to pull it on soaking wet and drip all the way down the hall to my room.  Could have been worse though. Could have forgotten the towel and the robe.  I was prepared to grab some paper towels and cover up Adam and Eve style but luckily for my residents that wasn't the case.  That's it, time to work.  Have a happy weekend everyone!

P.S. I apologize for the over use of the word "super" in this blog. Its super annoying :)  I will not be so lazy in my use of adjectives next time, promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment